DMP Coach
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Entry-level at VFX studios

5 posters

Go down

Entry-level at VFX studios Empty Entry-level at VFX studios

Post by Pinyo Mon May 27, 2013 8:09 pm

Anybody know what the entry level for dmp and environment artists are for graduates? Do you go through the normal entry level of roto/comp, runner and matchmove?

Pin
Pinyo
Pinyo

http://www.the3dmonkee.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Entry-level at VFX studios Empty Re: Entry-level at VFX studios

Post by Ludo Mon May 27, 2013 8:12 pm

Nick will be able to answer that, as this is what he's done.
He started as runner at Dneg after his graduate and moved in DMP/Env then.
Ludo
Ludo

Back to top Go down

Post by Alex Jenyon Tue May 28, 2013 2:46 pm

If you are good enough, it's to get hired straight out of school as a junior DMP artist (I've hired a couple recently). Your work has to be almost pro level, which is obviously pretty rare, and you are going to need a work permit for the country you want to work in - even if they really like your work, no-one will be able to get a work permit for a foreign junior. You also need to be in the right place, available at the right time, so (sadly) there is a certain amount of luck / fortunate circumstance required as well. One of the ways to ensure you are in the right place is to become a runner, but the right time might take a while to arrive...

Alex Jenyon

Back to top Go down

Post by Alex Jenyon Tue May 28, 2013 2:48 pm

Hmmm... I tried to write < possible >, and the forum removed it...

As in:

It's possible to get hired straight out of school

Alex Jenyon

Back to top Go down

Post by Ludo Tue May 28, 2013 6:44 pm

Well, it worked the second time Smile

As Alex said, if your work is good enough, and if you have some studios not far from where you are, it's possible...
We always need junior artist in a crew, so it's worth trying !
Ludo
Ludo

Back to top Go down

Post by Nick Tue May 28, 2013 8:20 pm

I heard my name!

Yes, Alex summed it up pretty succinctly, if you are really good it's possible to walk straight into a matte painting position. It's pretty rare though, and again, as Alex mentioned, you have to be in the right place at the right time.
More likely, you will either go to a bigger studio as a runner or an entry level artist (matchmove or roto) and then move into dmp / env work after you have a bit of experience, or try your luck at a smaller studio or on commercials etc where they might be more willing to take a chance on someone with less experience. 5 years ago I would have included TV work in that too, but the gap between TV and film work has closed a lot recently, so I can't be sure what level of experience would be expected there any more.
My own route was to apply for matte painting positions, but was offered a position at Dneg as a runner, and after a few months I moved into paint and roto. I stayed there for about a year before a position came available and I was lucky enough to be asked to move into dmp. By then I was fairly comfortable with the pipeline and so was able to pick things up pretty quickly, and haven't really looked back since then.

Luckily, forums like this allowed me to make some great friends along the way, who have been generous with their advice... two of them now in this thread!

Alex, great to see you here!! Hope things are going well across the pond! I won't hijack this thread with a catchup, but we are overdue a good natter! Wink

Nick

Back to top Go down

Post by Pinyo Wed May 29, 2013 10:04 pm

Great! Well I believe I'm in the right place! I'm really looking forward to the workshops to develop my work to hopefully get it good enough to get my foot in the door! Very Happy

Pinyo
Pinyo

http://www.the3dmonkee.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Ludo Wed May 29, 2013 10:12 pm

Careful not to hurt your foot !
Ludo
Ludo

Back to top Go down

Post by sguds Tue Sep 17, 2013 3:26 pm

Hey guys, when you were hired, did you just showcase a 2d dmp portfolio, or did you have a reel with camera projections and moving live action elements?
And how many pieces realisticly would impress a recruiter. I would love to make the transition from compositor someday or at least maybe be able to flex in departments

sguds

Back to top Go down

Post by Alex Jenyon Tue Sep 17, 2013 3:52 pm

For an entry level job as a DMP, you don't necessarily need a reel - just(!) some professional level paintings. 10 would be ideal - but three great paintings shown to the right person at the right time can land you a job. If you are applying for a role that has TD/projection or comp work listed as a component, you'll need to show you can do that work too, and that -will- involve a reel.

I would much prefer to see a small portfolio of solid paintings than a bunch of technically complex but badly executed moving shots.

Alex Jenyon

Back to top Go down

Post by sguds Tue Sep 17, 2013 4:20 pm

Thanks Alex, that makes a ton of sense. I will strive for ten solid paintings. Let the fun begin Smile

sguds

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum